Motorsport is undergoing a revolution, the most substantial of its long history. Widespread concerns over consumption of fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions have led the motor industry to exploration of alternative fuels and hybrid and even all-electric vehicles. Motorsport is following suit, to the extent that alternative fuelled hybrid vehicles have already won prestigious events against conventional race cars, while 2014 saw the arrival of the first all-electric FIA series, Formula E. Alternative Race Technology is dedicated to the analysis of the new technologies that are starting to change the face of motorsport. The future is here now; explore its exciting novelties through this unique technical publication!
- Intro: THE EDITOR - Advances in hybrid and electric racecar technology show there is no limit to creativity within a given set of regulations
- Grid: IN THE NEWS - Batteries come to the fore for energy storage in this year’s LM P1 Hybrid class, fuel cell-powered Prototype unveiled, and much more…
- In Conversation: JOSHUA SCHACHTER - This Silicon Valley-based inventor and entrepreneur tells Lawrence Butcher about his vision for a new form of autonomous racing
- Dossier: BUCKEYE BULLET 3 LSR - The team that holds the electric land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats plans to break that record with a new car. Lawrence Butcher charts its development
- Insight: CABLE ASSEMBLIES - What sets wiring destined for use in EVs and hybrids apart from standard power cables? Lawrence Butcher reports
- Digest: ANDROS TROPHY ELECTRIC CAR - Hal Ridge reports on what went into developing the racer for the electric category of this premier winter motorsport series
- Insight: HIGH-TORQUE MOTORS - Electric motors with a high torque density are a must-have for racing applications. Here we examine the development of one such unit
- Technical Review: FORMULA E - For its second season, the focus on improving the performance of the Formula E cars was to make efficiency gains. Lawrence Butcher reports
- Insight: INVERTERS AND MOTOR CONTROL - Lawrence Butcher examines the role of these control devices and explains some of the challenges they face in a racing environment
- Digest: LPG FIESTA R5 - Thanks to the FIA the days of the only LPG-fuelled rally car in the world could be numbered, writes Hal Ridge
- Insight: COOLING ELECTRIC MOTORS - There are various ways to control the temperatures in electric motors used in racing, as Lawrence Butcher explains
- ALTERNATIVE TECHNOLOGY SUPPLIERS - Our listing of companies offering products and services to the alternative race technology community
- PS: ALTERNATIVE IS THE NEW MAINSTREAM - What was seen as alternative race technology five years ago is now the norm, so in five years’ time what will the next ‘alternative’ be?