Although stock-appearing, running oval tracks at 200 mph the Cup car generates huge aerodynamic forces. Under the skin the Cup car is purpose-designed for racing albeit around some mandatory components that are strangely archaic. It all adds up to a fascinating engineering challenge. Published annually, Cup Race Technology explains in depth how some of the finest minds in motorsport rise to this fascinating and unique challenge.
- Intro: THE EDITOR - Right across the spectrum of stockcar racing, proper engineering is taking over from backyard mechanics
- Grid: IN THE NEWS - NASCAR unveils at-track optical scanning of car body shapes, details of the single-engine rule for 2018, and more…
- In Conversation: GARY NELSON - NASCAR’s former vice-president of r&d talks to Anne Proffit about his career highlights
- Dossier: 2018 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 CUP - When Chevrolet stopped producing the SS its NASCAR division opted for the Camaro ZL1 as a Cup replacement. Lawrence Butcher charts its development
- Insight: NASCAR R&D 2017 - NASCAR’s senior aerodynamicist Eric Jacuzzi looks back at the impact of some technologies in 2017, and which areas to expand for 2018
- Insight: XFINITY COMPOSITE BODIES - Lawrence Butcher reports on the project to design and produce new composite bodywork for the Xfinity series
- Digest: RAY EVERNHAM’S ‘GHOST’ - Lawrence Butcher explains how one man realized his dream of building the racer he’d always wanted
- Insight: KEVIN RUMLEY ON DIRT LATE MODELS - The Rumley device prompted a clampdown on suspension design in Dirt Late Model racing, writes Lawrence Butcher. Here’s how it worked
- Technical Review - Lawrence Butcher looks at some of the notable developments in short track technology since 2017
- Appendix - What are the differences between the three classes of NASCAR? We explain
- Supplier directory - Our listing of the companies providing products and services for the NASCAR community
- PS: RULE BENDER - As NASCAR brings in its Optical Scanning Station at race tracks, we look back on the exploits of arch-bender of the rules, Smokey Yunick"