Snow, gravel, tarmac: today’s rally car has to be capable of coping with a huge variety of terrain. Where racecars are engineered to exploit the billiard table smooth surfaces of today’s racetracks, the rally car has to be far more versatile. It has to cope with some of the most demanding environments in motorsport and to endure not hours but days of gruelling competition. Rally Race Technology opens up this fascinating world of engineering for a global sport that makes demands like no other. Never has the rally car been more deeply analysed as we provide a unique insight into a world where the engineering is nothing if not radical.
- Intro: The Editor - Despite tight technical regulations, rallying is still a hotbed of innovation
- Grid - The latest technical news from the world of rallying
- Insight: Brakes - Lawrence Butcher looks at the specific requirements rallying presents brake manufacturers.
- Dossier: Fiesta R5 - Lawrence Butcher looks at the development of the M-Sport/Ford Fiesta R5, which is taking the rally market by storm
- Dossier: Polo WRC - The Polo R’s tally of WRC wins in 2013 took everyone by surprise – not least the VW Motorsport team that built it. Martin Sharp explains how the car was developed
- Racecar Digest: Chevy Sonic - Lawrence Butcher checks out the Chevy Sonic, the latest contender in the Global Rallycross Championship
- Racecar Digest: Escort Mk2 - Jon Scoltock reports on how one example of this rallying icon has now been developed to challenge its more modern rivals
- Insight: Aerodynamics - While not a major factor in a rally car’s performance, close attention still needs to be paid to aero performance, as Lawrence Butcher explains
- Tech review: Powertrain - FIA regulations have limited rally engine development recently to little more than fine-tuning, but there are gains to be made. Jon Scoltok spoke to Citroen about its ongoing engine program.
- Focus: Chassis - How does a modern rally chassis fulfil its dual role of providing crew safety and car driveability? Jon Scoltock explains
- Focus: Data systems - Lawrence Butcher investigates rally car data logging systems and the ways teams use the information they gather from them
- Paddock - A roundup of the regulatory changes in rallying
- PS - Is there a place for hybrid technology in rallying?